Friday, March 4, 2011

A huge feeling of accomplishment

Today I did something I thought I would never want or have to do. I ran a 22 mile training run, solo!

When I was in high school, I saw my dad run marathon after marathon, and while I wanted to be a runner, I never saw marathoning in my future. That changed in my 20's when Eladio started Runner's Edge. Since I've started running distance, I've always had the luxury of doing my long runs with the group or at least with my running buds. Basically, I've always had company on my long runs. The farthest I've ever gone solo was something like 16 miles.

I could sense something was different about this training session. I was actually enjoying my solo mid-week runs when the weather was too frightful to run at 6 a.m. with my gal pals. These were by no means long runs, but they were farther than I'd been going on my own in quite some time. The suprising part was that I wasn't hating or dreading these runs. As I compared my training schedule with my growing calendar commitments, I started to figure I would likely have to get in at least one 20 miler on my own. I wasn't looking forward to this, but didn't feel like I had any choice. I kept telling myself that it would toughen me up and make Boston feel easier. I'm not sure about the latter, but now that it's over, I can definitely say it's toughened me up!

Here are some highlights of my run:
1. I started this morning before the rain was predicted to come, so I ran about 6 miles rain free. Thanks Dad and Felicia for watching the kids so I could go earlier!
2. I ran 4-7 mile loops around my house which helped break up the miles.
3. I endured a 5 minute hail shower followed by a heavy downpour.
4. Staying close to home enabled me to change my top and jacket once and my soaked shoes and socks three times.
5. Even though I didn't have a friend to talk with, I had my trusty iPod to keep me company. Special thanks to the "Spirit of the Marathon" and "Rocky" soundtracks!
6. My Garmin died at 20.86 miles, so although I don't have proof that I ran 22, you'll just have to trust me. :-)
7. I came home to a cup of hot chocolate and Minsky's supreme pizza. Both were incredible! Thanks Eladio!!

No comments:

Post a Comment