Sunday, November 1, 2009

Remembering New York

A year ago today, I ran the New York City marathon. It was my 12th marathon and the last one I ran. Watching it on TV today brought me back to the thrill and excitement of the race. Nothing can top running over the Queensboro bridge and coming onto 1st Avenue. The sound of the crowd was deafening and brought such energy to my tired legs. Finishing in Central Park...just incredible. Those were just a couple of the highlights. I loved sharing it all with my friend Ann and running for Girls on the Run (and wearing my tiara).

If you watched today, you saw two exciting finishes - Derartu Tulu pulled away in the final mile to win the women's race and Meb Keflezighi became the first American male to win since 1982. I was mostly interested in watching Paula Radcliffe and Ryan Hall, but they both fell behind and came in fourth. I know Paula is an amazing runner, but I was so disappointed in her pulling out of the Olympic marathon in Athens. I'm proud of her for going after it today despite her injury and finishing a respectable fourth place.

Congratulations to all NY marathon finishers! I hope you enjoyed your experience and really took in the city. There's no better way to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment