Friday, February 24, 2012

Down, but not out

For the past two days, I've been laid up in bed, sick with a fever, cough, and sinus congestion. I'm 99% sure it's the flu. My daughter had it for 6 days, my sister and nieces all had it, so I think it's safe to say that having the exact same symptoms and feeling like death qualifies me to say, it's the flu! No fun! But, during this time, I've started a mission to attain great health. I know I've talked about it before, but I'm dead serious about it this time.

This means staying on track with my supplements and eating better. What do i take? Here's the low down on my supplements and "nutrition" plan:

I take these daily:
1. Probiotics
2. Vitamin D3
3. Ubiquinol
4. Omega 3 - EPA/DHA
5. B-12

Along with these supplements, I'm trying to drink more green tea and tulsi tea, cut out almost all refined sugar (still a struggle with grains), eat more green veggies, fish, and less red meat.

I've decided that I'm tired of feeling like crap, having little to no energy most days, living for my morning coffee to get me going (still love the taste with creamer - ugh!), and feeling frustrated by constant illness and injury to my body.

It's time to take control of my health! No one else is going to do it for me. I know it's going to be hard to make lots of these changes, but I also know they are necessary for me to live a drug free (I'm talking over the counter NSAID's, as well as anti-depressants), healthy, energetic, purposeful life.

When I am no longer running a fever or coughing up a lung, I also plan to implement more strength training into my exercise. I've nearly abandoned the idea of doing a Half-Ironman this summer, unless I can really see some great changes in energy and can manage training along with my busy life as a mother, wife, and servant of God. I still would like to do some triathlons, continue biking and swimming, and of course, complete the half marathons I've already signed up for this spring. The main difference is that I will be doing these things in light of overall health for my body versus performance goals.

I want to live a healthy, active lifestyle for all of my days and for me, that means slowing the pace down to last longer. Life's a marathon, not a sprint!

No comments:

Post a Comment