Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Seeking balance

Once again, I find myself tipping the scale over and needing to come back to the center. Recently, I got it in my head to start sorta semi-training for a Half Ironman. Like my level of commitment? I joined a gym for a couple of months so I could have access to a pool and spinning classes. For the past three weeks, I've been trying to get on some sort of regular schedule where I can do all three sports in one week. It's not working out so well. I've been battling a sinus infection and now my 3rd or 4th cold (I'm losing track) this winter! Combine the illnesses with lack of sleep and I'm a big mess. Last week was my most productive in terms of training (if you can call it that). I ran three times, biked (went to spin class) twice, and swam twice. I had a short reprieve from illnesses last week so I was able to get it all in, but let me tell ya, I was dog tired by the end of the week. And...my hip started hurting all the time. Before, it had just been hurting right after my runs, but would loosen up after a few hours and with mild stretching. Now, it was constant pain and tightness.

I know this just sounds like a rant and a bunch of complaining. I promise, this isn't just to gripe about all my problems. What I'm trying to figure out is if this is all worth it. I now have a decent road bike and could actually do better in the bike portion of a triathlon. I've taken that as somehow needing to push myself to do something harder than an Olympic distance tri, hence the Half Ironman.

I'm not giving up at this point, but I am backing off. I need to remember that I'm still new at all of this and I can't expect to jump right into training without a base. I'm not built for that. My hip pain reminds me that I have inherent imbalances which I'm working on, but they may never be resolved. My body (and mind) can only tolerate so much stress in a week before it starts wearing down.

So, I'm figuring out that if I'm going to continue working towards a Half Ironman this summer, I'm going to have to take it slower in the beginning, give my body time to rest and heal before adding another layer of training. For now, I think that means I have to limit my harder workouts to every other day and not worry about getting in two a days just yet.

On a positive note, I had a great long swim yesterday. I went almost a mile and my muscles aren't even sore today! And my hip is feeling better!

For the first time in over 13 years of running, I'm keeping a training log on dailymile.com. I'll track my workouts there, but will blog about the process here. More to come if I can find my true balance in this journey as a semi-sorta-wannabe triathlete. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment